- Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Can Designer Biology Fix the Planet?

The up-and-coming field of synthetic biology aims to make biological technology as easily designable as computer applications or hardware components. Advocates hope that someday soon we'll develop biological design methods, creating novel bio-machines and driving ultra-low cost solutions to things like habitat restoration, agriculture, medicine, and more.

One of the main goals of TECH VIVO is to catalog the direction synthetic biology is taking and how we're progressing on that path. I especially want to separate hype from fact and break down whether it really can change the world for the better. Can biology really be engineered? Will synthetic biology be safe and bring about the kind of benefits we hope? I don't know yet. I hope so. It sounds cool, but I want to find out more.

So I'm launching the DesignerBiology series of articles exploring this issue in depth.

No comments :

Post a Comment